Monday, May 28, 2012

Challenge - 02

In this challenge I thought we would build on to the background we made in challenge one. If you have not done challenge one, you can use any background you may have on hand or just go with a blank page.

1: Find the page you want to work on. From challenge 01, or something else. (I am using the watercolor page from challenge 01)

2: Pull out some Collage Fodder. I use various items, but in this one I chose to go with just vintage book pages. I used pages from about 7 different books. Old books come in various sizes and textures, so I really enjoy mxing it up to give my collage a lot of interesting textures.
You can get some awesome Collage Fodder HERE

This is what I used:

3: Tear your fodder into pieces.

4: Other supplies:
a - Glue - I used Mod Podge. It is cheap and I find that it works just as well as the more expensive collage / decoupage glues.
b - Plastic card. You can use old credit cards, gift cards, hotel key cards. We use then to smooth out bubbles when you glue your collage fodder to the pages. Apply glue, place your fodder, add a little more glue to edges and areas that doesnt stick well. Then take your plastic card and scrape across the surface. This way you will eliminate bubbles, and you will get rid of excess glue.
c - Paint brush. You will need this to apply the glue. I use an old worn out watercolor brush. I do suggest you use an old brush, because the glue is hard to really wash out completely.
d - Wet Wipes. You need this to wipe your plastic card on so you do not get a build up of glue on the card. I buy super cheap wet wipes at the dollar stores. The kind with alcohol in them. Because they are rather cheap they tend to be kinda dry when buy them, or they dry out fast. So I usually add a couple of spoonfuls of plain rubbing alcohol to the container. Shake well. If they dry out along the way, just add more alcohol.

5: Mindless collage. Do not plan ahead. Just start applying glue to your pieces and place them at random to your page. I almost covered my page completely. but you can do as much or as little as you like. It is just to add texture.

TIP 1: If you use Mod Podge, you will want to work fairly quickly. Also try not to add water to your brush, as Mod Podge is already waterbased. More water will make your page buckle more. When using Mod Podge it is hard to avoid buckling. I usually let my page dry completely then close the book and place something heavy on top. This will "press" the page amd remove most of the buckling.

Have fun!

And if you feel up to it, please share pictures of your "background" art at our Flickr gallery HERE

SAMPLE:

I used the watercolor background from challenge 01. I used fodder from about 7 different book. Pieces are torn to various sizes and shapes.
Amount of time spent making the collage: 10 minutes.
Prep and Clean-up: 5 minutes.
Total amount of time spent: 15 minutes.

REMEMBER: Art Journaling is not about the beginning or the end. It is all about the process.

No comments:

Post a Comment