Monday, May 28, 2012

Trash to treasure...

Trash to Treasure, or maybe we should make a new word and call it "Trashure".

You already have a lot of "art supplies" around the house, it is just a question of seeing past what the items where intended for and seeing the possibilities of what they can become in your art studio. In the photo above you will see several items that normal people would have put in the trash bin. But we are not normal, we are art journalers.

In the photo you see a couple of old spice container lids, a jar lid, bubble wrap, sponges, a fruit bag, a foam snowflake, some plastic canvas, a dish scrubber, and more. Right now you are probably thinking "how on earth am I going to use this in my journal". Well, the lids make some awesome circles when dipped in paint and then "stamped" onto your page. Take a paint brush and apply paint to the bubble wrap and then "stamp" it to your page, it makes some great textures. The plastic canvas is fantastic when you use homemade spray paint. The sponges and the fruit bag also make cool textures.

Use your imagination! Take a walk through your house to see what you can find. Items that might otherwise end up in the trash. Look in your junk drawer, under the kitchen sink, the garden shed. And your kids room is probably full of wonderful items. And I am sure they wont mind you 'borrowing' a couple of legos.

Other items that might be interesting: fabric with a lot of texture, foam earplugs, pipe cleaners, rubber bands, doilies, etc.

REMEMBER: Trashures ARE Art Journaling for Less!

Please share in the comments what items you have found in your house.

2 comments:

  1. I love this - Thanks so much for this article. it makes me feel like I am not so weird after all! I have been collecting things for years that I though looked neat - my husband wants to throw my box of trashures away - but then he sees that I make with them and he relents. I like using old sewing notions as well - the end of a thread spool or an old piece of velcro that doesn't stick so well any more make neat patterns. I also like to just poke holes with a needle or straight pin to make a pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I am sure there are a lot more items. If you can think of more, please post about them here. Also if you want to take a photo of your box of trashures you can and post it to flickr. Or email it to me and I will add it to this post.
    Never thought of using velcro. That is a really cool idea. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete