Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Challenge - Beauty

Beauty - this is a word that has so many different meanings, depending on who you are. To some beauty can be a red rose blooming, but to others the beauty is not about the looks, but rather the fact that the rose is growing. Doesn't matter if it is red, white, or any other color. Just that it is here for us to enjoy.
When you hear the word Beauty, what comes to mind? Nature? Your child? Your mother? Or perhaps some actress or supermodel? Think it through. Perhaps write down the first words that came to mind when you saw the title of this post.

In this challenge I would like you to make a page

1: that describes what beauty means to you

-or-

2: using a quote or poem as your inspiration.
Feel free to read through the quotes, poetry, etc, below to use as your inspiration.

Beauty [link to wikipedia]
Aesthetics [link to wikipedia]

Beauty - definitions:

1: the quality or aggregate of qualities in a person or thing that gives pleasure to the senses or pleasurably exalts the mind or spirit : loveliness
2: a beautiful person or thing; especially : a beautiful woman
3: a particularly graceful, ornamental, or excellent quality
4: a brilliant, extreme, or egregious example or instance <that mistake was a beauty>
You can also try Googling 'beautiful' or 'aesthetic' 
Titles:
1: Mirror, Mirror, On the Wall
2: Pretty as a Picture
3: Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
4: Everything is beautiful in its own way.
5: A thing of beauty is a joy forever.

Quotes:
1: Be careless in your dress if you will, but keep a tidy soul. (Mark Twain)
2: Beauty changes with the passing seasons except in the heart where the true beauty remains. (Unknown)
3: Don't worry about wrinkles, they're just antique smiles. (Unknown)
4: Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it. (Confucius)
5: I've never seen a smiling face that was not beautiful. (Unknown)
6: It is only with the heart that one can see rightly, what is essential is invisible to the eye. (from The Little Prince)
7: That which is striking and beautiful is not always good, but that which is good is always beautiful. (Ninon De L'Enclos)
8: To me, fair friend, you never can be old. For as you were when first your eye I eyed. Such seems your beauty still. (William Shakespeare)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My Inside-Self by Rachel Field

My Inside-Self and my Outside-Self
Are different as can be.
My Outside-self wears gingham smocks,
And very round is she,
With freckles sprinkled on her nose,
And smoothly parted hair,
And clumsy feet that cannot dance
In heavy shoes and square.

But, oh, my little Inside-Self
In gown of misty rose.
She dances lighter than a leaf
On blithe and twinkling toes.
Her hair is blowing gold, and if
You chanced her face to see,
You would not think she could belong
to staid and sober me!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please Look a Little Deeper

Please don't judge me by my face.
By my religion or my race.
Please don't laugh at what I wear.
Or how I look or do my hair.
Please look a little deeper--
Way down deep inside.
And although you may not see it.
I have a lot to hide.
Behind my clothes the secrets lie.
Behind my smile, I softly cry.
Please look a little deeper.
And maybe you will see,
The lonely little girl
That lives inside of me.
Please listen carefully to her--
She'll show that she's insecure.
Please try to be a friend to her
And show her that you care.
Please just get to know her
And maybe you will see
That if you just look deep enough.
You'll find the real me.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I hope you have fun doing this challenge.

REMEMBER: Art Journaling is not about the beginning or the end. It is all about the process. The Journey!

And if you feel up to it, please share pictures of your art journal pages at our Flickr gallery HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment