Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Challenge - Week 10 - Let Go

This CHALLENGE will run through the entire month of August.

I know that most of you are digital art journalers, and this challenge is not digital. However, it is something you can do even if you have never done any hands on art journaling before. And I really suggest you try. I think it is something that will help you become a better art journaler (even digital art journaler). Please just humor me for this one month.

During the month of August, you will be working on a Mini 'Let Go' Art Journal. We are taking Art Journaling back to it's basics. Let's doodle, scribble, draw, write. You will not need any fancy art supplies for this one.

What you will need:
A journal
Pencils
Coloring pencils
Crayons
Ink pens

And no you do not need to go shopping for everything on the list. If all you have are ink pens or regular pencils, then that is perfectly fine.

The Journal:
The smaller the journal the better. The journal I will be using in my examples is a 5.5x3.87 inches, 48 sheet notebook I bought at Walmart a while ago. I think I paid less than $2 for it. I do not plan on using a lot of wet medium in my journal, so the light paper is ok.
You can also choose to do it on index cards. You can get 100 index cards at the Dollar Tree (in the US) for a dollar, and it is not much more at Walmart or office supply stores.
And if you can't get either, maybe cut paper out in trading card sizes and use those.
Anything will work.

You want to keep your journal/index cards at a size so you can fill your page/sheet with colors, doodles, or text in a very short time. No more than 10 minutes. Preferably less than 5 minutes.

Journal Examples:
The largest one of the journals in the photo is a regular size composition notebook. It is 9.75x7.5 inches with 100 sheets of paper. That is actually a little too big for the "Let Go" challenge. The colored journals are 5.5x3.87 inches with 48 sheets of paper and are perfectly sized for this challenge. The smallest ones are 4.5x3.25 inches with 80 sheets of paper. They might actually be just a bit too small. But it is up to you. Maybe you have a small journal somewhere in your house already that you can use.


Index Cards: They do come in various sizes and they all will work well with this challenge. Here I have two recipe card boxes. The one to the left is full of just plain white cards, but the one to the right I have pre-colored all the cards. I just did a slight watercolor wash on all the cards in various natural colors.


These are my recipe card boxes. One is an old antique and the other my husband made for me at Christmas a few years ago. You can get these sorts of boxes everywhere. You can try looking at Goodwill or other second hand store. Craft supply stores also have them plain so you can decorate them yourself. And you can also get index card boxes at office supply store.
Of course you dont need a box. You can punch holes in your cards and tie them together with a ribbon, or use rings.

This CHALLENGE is all about letting go. Go back to the basics.
Each day you will be provided with a word. You can use that word any way you like. You can write the word on your page. Draw or write whatever comes to mind when reading the word. Or maybe you want to do some poetry. Forget what others might think. This is YOUR journal. You dont have to share with anyone.

TODAY'S WORD: Create
(you can use the word in any form you like: Create, creative, creations, etc.)

Use one page in your journal. Draw, doodle, write, whatever you want to do. It does not need to be fancy or museum worthy. Just LET GO and LET'S GET BACK TO BASICS.

EXAMPLES:
Pink coloring pencil to add a little color to the background. Ink pen to write the word. I colored in the letters with Glaze pens from Sakura.
You can add the date to your page.
Less than 5 minutes.

I used Neocolor II watercolor crayons for the black background and a Sharpie poster paint pen for the text.
Less than 5 minutes.

Again I added some color to the background using Neocolor II watercolor crayons. Then I added some scrapbook alpha letters with glue. Then embellished with some glitter glue.
About 10 minutes (due to glitter glue drying time)

This one I actually made watching TV last night. It took probably 1 hour due to using Glaze pens by Sakura and glitter glue. Both requires some drying time.
I used various coloring pencils, crayons, Glaze pens by Sakura, and Elmer's glitter glue.

As you can see you can go from just a simple 5 minute page to a more elaborate page with lots of color. It is up to you.

Try using as few art supplies as possible. LET GO and go BACK TO BASICS.

If you carry a purse or bag with you when you leave your house, take your 'journal' with you. Bring a few different making tools with you too. If you have a few moments while waiting in the Dr's office, at the DMV, etc. pull out and use your journal. Think about the word of the day.


 I will also post reminders every day, and sometimes share my pages.

I really do hope that you all will join me in this challenge/exercise. I know it will be fun, and even if you ever never done any hands-on art before you are all more then qualified to do this little project. Have fun!

3 comments:

  1. I'm doing this, and – ok, so I can do better than I thought I could. Not *postable* better, but better.

    And – you meant "August* words, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeez yeah... August words LOL. I kept looking at that dang thing knowing something wasnt right I just could not see it. I will fix that in the morning.
    AND thank you so much for joining me in this one. I think it will be fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah! Yesterday while we were out buying school supplies (because dang its August and I have to get going on this) I found this little mini journal with watercolor pages (3x5 size) and I had to get it. Now I know what I can do with it while waiting for little man to work through his math. Thanks! This will be fun!

    ReplyDelete