Wednesday, June 6, 2012

DigitalCorner: Paperworn Art Styles

I rarely find anything when it comes to digital art journaling that I suggest for others or see as "must haves", except when it comes to Tangie Baxter's Paperworn Art Style. These styles for PS and PSE are truly essential to doing fantastic art journal pages digitally.
I would never tell you that you had to spend money on anything you don't want. But I am 100% certain that this is an investment you would not regret. Some of you probably already have this style set.



If you look at the black and white texts at the bottom of this image you can see that it looks like the text is applied on top of the painted background. This is just not realistic looking. If you then apply the style, you can see that the text blends with the painted background similar to what it would do in real life.

The style set comes with 7 styles and 1 action. I use PSE6 so can only tell you how well the styles work with my software. The action only works in PhotoShop, not PhotoShop Elements. The 7 different styles work differently depending on your background and the color of the layer you want to apply the style to. It is really just a question of trying out each one. Some times it doesn't work at all if the background doesn't have the right texture or color, but most times you will get some very nice effects. And it is not just for text. You can use it for any kind of element you want to add to your art journal pages. Of course to make it look realistic it works best for painted elements and background.

These styles come both as commercial use and personal use. If you purchase the commercial use set you can sell your derivative works. For example if you ever decide to make cards, or maybe sell your pages. If you purchase the personal use set you may not sell derivative works. Honestly I suggest the commercial use version. With the commercial use version you are always safe to use it. Both for selling your works and should you ever want to publish your pages.

Tangie Baxter's Paperworn Art Styles - Commercial Use version.
Tangie Baxter's Paperworn Art Styles - Personal Use version.

Without style:


With style:


Without style:


With style:





2 comments:

  1. I agree! I love this style set. I have Photoshop CS, so I use the action more than the styles and I absolutely love it. The action lets you tailor the fade to your page, so you can play with it and make it just right for your background and text color. This comes in handy when you are working with a lot of color piled up. I also use it with other elements, like digital gesso, brushes, stamps, and other things that need to look like they blend into the page. It really adds a realistic 'paper' touch to my digi pages!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I almost ALWAYS use it for when I use brushes and stamps, and of course text. If you look at some of the products from the Altered Junk line you will see that I use it alot LOL. Dont know what I would do without it.
    I so need to get PhotoShop one of these days.

    ReplyDelete