Sunday, June 3, 2012

Glue, glue, oh wonderful glue...


Glue is probably one of the most important ingredients in art journaling, altered art, well most crafts really. And yes you can use the cheap stuff here too. I have a couple of favorites, and I will tell you about them and you can try them out too.

Mod Podge vs. Gel Mediums.
I use Mod Podge for most of my glue needs. I use both matte and gloss, but for collaging I always use the matte variety. When you use Mod Podge you might want to move quickly cause it is water based and will dry quickly when you only apply a thin layer. Also I feel that the quicker I move the less bubbles wrinkles I will get. When I apply collage pieces to my art using Mod Podge I always use a plastic card to smooth the piece to lessen the chance of bubbles and wrinkles. Usually you can get 16 oz of Matte Mod Podge for around $6. No matter where you go. Walmart is usually a little cheaper than other places.
There are also several places online where you can get it at a discounted price such as Dick Blick or Create for Less.

I have been told by so many people that the only adhesive to use for art journaling (collaging) is Golden Gel Mediums. I recently decided that I should try it. So I spent $10.61 (+shipping) for 8 oz of Golden Soft Gel (matte).
Honestly I was not impressed. I don't feel it does anything that Mod Podge can't do. I actually got a little annoyed with it. You have to use so much more of it to make it really stick. And even after it is smoothed out with a plastic card it still leaves bubbles. It appears that the bubbles actually come from where there is no glue. So you have to be extra careful that you cover your area 100% with the glue.
If you must try it out, please just buy a small jar. 8 oz is the smallest I think. Compare the quality and quantity to how much you pay. I am sure Mod Podge will be OK for your projects.

Tombow Mono Multi liquid glue - I actually really like this glue, just not for collaging. It it permanent and sticks really great. It just stays tacky for so long. You will want to use this for adhering heavy items. For example if you add small pieces of hardware, silk flowers, etc. Just don't use it where the glue might be "showing", as in collaging, cause it will stay tacky for quite some time.
It has two applicators. One pen tip and one broad tip. I really like to use the pen tip to add just a dap of glue.
This product does contain Natural Rubber Latex, so not good if you have latex/rubber allergies.

UHU Stic - This is again one of those glue sticks that was recommended for art journaling and again I was not impressed. I also paid a lot more as I bought mine at Michael's. I honestly do not think it is worth the money. It tends to get "stringy", and then becomes a mess to work with.

Scotch Wrinkle-Free Glue Stick - This glue is worthless. Yes it is true that it is wrinkle free, but applying it is like trying to use hot string cheese.
I will not recommend this one.

Inkssentials Collage Glue Stick - I have just started trying this one out and I am actually quite impressed with this one. It has wonderful stickiness, and so far I have not had issues with it getting stringy. And it is priced perfectly at just $1.65 at Scrapbooking Warehouse.

So in the end I will recommend Plaid Mod Podge (Matte) and Inkssentials Collage Glue Stick. Both are reasonably priced and both gets the job done.
Of course I will suggest that you use up all the adhesive you have in the house before you go buy more, but keep these two in mind when the time comes.

I haven't tried out all the adhesives available, and I am sure there are many more out there that will work wonderfully. If you have a favorite glue, I would love to hear about it so I too can try it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment